Home     Forum     401k     401k Rollovers
    Register   Login   Members   Search   FAQs     Recent Posts    




Canadian Tax

Reply to topic
Money Talk > Taxes

Author Thread
MoneyInvestorGroup.com
Member


Cash: $ 2.10

Posts: 10
Joined: 22 Jan 2006

Canadian Tax  Reply with quote  

Hey all

I would like to know if anyone from Canada pay taxes on their online programs ? and if you do, do you declare it at the end of the tax year?

The reason i'm asking is because i'm currently involved if few online programs where i have made some money and i'm not sure if or how i should pay tax on it.
Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:04 am
 View user's profile Send private message
vethost.com
Contributing Member


Cash: $ 6.20

Posts: 31
Joined: 17 Feb 2006
Location: Virginia
Re: Canadian Tax  Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by MoneyInvestorGroup.com
Hey all

I would like to know if anyone from Canada pay taxes on their online programs ? and if you do, do you declare it at the end of the tax year?

The reason i'm asking is because i'm currently involved if few online programs where i have made some money and i'm not sure if or how i should pay tax on it.


Do you live in Canada? If not, forget about it.
Post Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:53 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
coaster
Senior Advisor


Cash: $ 1626.30

Posts: 7990
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
 Reply with quote  

You generally pay taxes to the country of which you're a citizen. If you're taxed in two countries, you need to check the tax laws. In some cases, you file in your country and get a deduction or credit for taxes paid in the other; in some cases you have to pay taxes to both. It's a pretty complicated issue. For US citizens, search the IRS website for their articles on "foreign income" and "foreign taxes"

~Tim~
Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:31 am
 View user's profile Send private message
vethost.com
Contributing Member


Cash: $ 6.20

Posts: 31
Joined: 17 Feb 2006
Location: Virginia
 Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by coaster
You generally pay taxes to the country of which you're a citizen. If you're taxed in two countries, you need to check the tax laws. In some cases, you file in your country and get a deduction or credit for taxes paid in the other; in some cases you have to pay taxes to both. It's a pretty complicated issue. For US citizens, search the IRS website for their articles on "foreign income" and "foreign taxes"


For US citizens, that is true. Not so for Canadians however. They pay based on residency.
Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
coaster
Senior Advisor


Cash: $ 1626.30

Posts: 7990
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
 Reply with quote  

I'm not sure, maybe you can clarify, but I think Canada might be one of those countries where a US citizen living in Canada would be assessed taxes in both countries. Shucks.....I used to know some people in that circumstance and I can't remember if they ever said anything about that. Confused

~Tim~
Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:37 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
vethost.com
Contributing Member


Cash: $ 6.20

Posts: 31
Joined: 17 Feb 2006
Location: Virginia
 Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by coaster
I'm not sure, maybe you can clarify, but I think Canada might be one of those countries where a US citizen living in Canada would be assessed taxes in both countries. Shucks.....I used to know some people in that circumstance and I can't remember if they ever said anything about that. Confused


If a US citizen has residency in Canada, then Canada would tax them, but that tax would be offset by the US tax burden.
Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:58 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
coaster
Senior Advisor


Cash: $ 1626.30

Posts: 7990
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
 Reply with quote  

OK, thanks for clarifying that. All I had to go on was a comment made years ago by a coworker and I don't even remember which country he was living in. The UK maybe?

~Tim~
Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:49 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic
Forum Jump:
Jump to:  
  Display posts from previous:      





Money Talk © 2003-2016