Home     Forum     401k     401k Rollovers
    Register   Login   Members   Search   FAQs     Recent Posts    

Advice/Help for College Students

Reply to topic
Money Talk > The Green Room

Author Thread
First Time Poster

Cash: $ 0.25

Posts: 1
Joined: 05 May 2009

Advice/Help for College Students  Reply with quote  

After reading about this particular internship placement program in the Wall Street Journal last year I decided to give it a go and applied to the program to boost my chance at securing a summer internship. But recently my grandfather became ill and was diagnosed with cancer. My priorities shifted and I withdrew from the internship placement program to spend as much time as I can with my grandfather. Also the loan that I was taking out for the program also wasn't accepted after they reviewed all the documentations. I explained my situation to the program to withdraw from the program. They then informed that I would lose my initial $500 deposit (which is OK with me) + 50% of the program's fee which is $4500 (the program is $9000).

I was shocked to hear this. I am withdrawing from the program two months in advanced because of an unexpected family emergency, my internship position has not been secured, and the program hasn't even started - I won't even be participating in the program! It seems to be a blatant rip-off. What I want to know is is this right? Are they allowed to assess such a ridiculous withdrawal fee when I won't be able to participate in the program nor afford it? Since my loan got rejected I have no way to pay for the program let alone the withdrawal fee. I have no idea what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 2:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Cash: $ 384.35

Posts: 1891
Joined: 09 Feb 2009

 Reply with quote  

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but what did the documentation state that you signed when the application about withdrawl? If there wasn't any written details about this if you cancelled then you may have a legal case.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 5:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Senior Member

Cash: $ 46.35

Posts: 216
Joined: 26 Sep 2007

 Reply with quote  

Sorry to hear the unfortunate news, hope everything gets better soon. With the documentation situation, I would have to agree with littleroc. If it was not stated in the writing(s), then you can bring up the case and possibly get your money back. Contract can be made orally as long as it is binding and legal, but if you signed the document(s) then you must abide to you; unless the contract itself is a tort.
Post Wed May 20, 2009 1:51 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Full Member

Cash: $ 13.60

Posts: 67
Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Location: USA
 Reply with quote  

The attorney general's office for your state will handle this for you for free. The federal trade commission don't play around either. Throw these offices into the conversation; and they'll probably run and hide when you get through with them.
Post Thu May 21, 2009 3:52 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic
Forum Jump:
Jump to:  
  Display posts from previous:      

Money Talk © 2003-2018