Selling 2nd House... TAX Implications ?

Reply to topic
Money Talk > Taxes

Author Thread
Katmandu

Location: Ohio
Selling 2nd House... TAX Implications ?  Reply with quote

We have a 2nd house that we bought and renovated over the last couple years. My wife and I were going to downsize and move into it but recently decided just to sell it off.

We own it free and clear and do not what the hassles or renting it out.

I need to know what the implications will be to our Taxes after we sell it.

Will this be seen as a Capital gain or what ??
Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:09 am

Yes. Your expenses are deductible. I hope you kept good records.

More information on the IRS website; look for Publications 550, 523, 544; and Tax Topics 701 and 703; and the instructions for Form 1040 Schedule D.

You're fortunate to have a gain on a real-estate sale. Smile

~Tim~
Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:09 pm
Katmandu

Location: Ohio

Thanks coaster.

It was a HUD foreclosure that we bought real cheap. Pretty lucky.
Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:11 am
Abe

Location: new york

I read this blog and did not understand what do you want to say in this blog.
Describe and elaborate the blog with detail and wide information which is easily understand.
Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:14 pm
oldguy

Location: arizona

It was a HUD foreclosure that we bought real cheap. Pretty lucky.

You've owned it for more than one yr so your gains are longterm capital gains. Add your original cost, your reno costs, all improvements cost, real estate commssions, etc, and subtract that from your net sale. If tere is a profit, the gains tax is 15% MAX of that. Or, if you lost some money on it, that is a tax deduction.
Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:32 pm
Katmandu

Location: Ohio

Originally posted by oldguy
quote:
It was a HUD foreclosure that we bought real cheap. Pretty lucky.

You've owned it for more than one yr so your gains are longterm capital gains. Add your original cost, your reno costs, all improvements cost, real estate commssions, etc, and subtract that from your net sale. If tere is a profit, the gains tax is 15% MAX of that. Or, if you lost some money on it, that is a tax deduction.
Thanks for your reply.
Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:33 pm