Problems getting a Credit Card?

Reply to topic
Money Talk > Credit & Loans

Author Thread
No-Brainer

Location: Oregon USA
Problems getting a Credit Card?  Reply with quote

I had a friend point this out to me after I posted a question in another forum. Were you aware that PayPal has a system that comes with their toolbar that allows you to generate a credit card number along with the cvc some sites ask for?

You establish a limit and expiration for each instance and it looks like a normal Mastercard to any merchant.

What a great way to protect yourself from getting scammed online. It won't work for situations where you have to present a card for payment, but for online I can see where it solves a bunch of problems.

A Unique Twist on Traffic Exchanges
Free Cash As A BONUS!
Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:15 am

I wonder if this is legal? And if legal, what's the position of the CC companies? This might be great protection for the consumer, but there could be some sticky issues here. Starting with material misrepresentation if the online merchant doesn't know .... if he thinks he's getting a genuine card number from a genuine card issuer.

~Tim~
Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:27 am
No-Brainer

Location: Oregon USA

I would suspect the reaction from card companies is going to be if you can't beat them, join them. Bank of America already has and offers SafePay for online banking customers. I just signed up.

A Unique Twist on Traffic Exchanges
Free Cash As A BONUS!
Post Thu May 01, 2008 5:34 am
cbass1017

Location: PA

That sounds like a pretty good system. I definately trust Paypal and they are so big that I would think if it were illegal they wouldn't offer it. I'm always cautious about using credit cards online and that definately seems like a good way around it. Thanks for the tip...
Post Fri May 30, 2008 11:48 pm
efflandt

Location: Elgin, IL USA

Since Paypal links to credit card(s) and/or bank account, it is really no different than a checking account debit card that from the merchant end can be used as a credit card.

Many credit card companies offer one time use credit card numbers for your account for security.
Post Sat May 31, 2008 10:13 am
yoonoo

Location: las Vegas

if it is true.. that's good new! thanks for the info.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:11 am
aika

Location: Las Vegas

yea, some companies offers great security for their customers, some also have a fraud liability like for Advanta cards.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:03 am
multimastery

Sounds like a great added service from PayPal. We'll see if it sticks!
Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:17 pm