Tax Deadline if they owe me??

Reply to topic
Money Talk > Taxes

Author Thread
Givitt

Location: Honolulu
Tax Deadline if they owe me??  Reply with quote

Is it true that if I am expecting a refund from my state, that I don't have to file by the deadline? Someone told me that only if I owe money that the deadline means anything.
Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:53 am

You're correct, the deadline applies to money you owe. I've sent in tax returns "late" before when I had refunds coming. But you do still have to file sometime, you can't just postpone it indefinitely. I'm guessing you have six months, as if you filed form 4868. But check your own state website.

~Tim~
Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:14 pm
Givitt

Location: Honolulu

Great news Tim.....I'm telling my friend who hasn't filed in 3 years to give it a try as well. She works in the babysitting field, you know under the table and all that, but she has a young son so she must have something coming to her each year even though she has no income.

Thanks!
Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:49 am

I'm not quite sure we communicated.

If she's been working off the books and hasn't PAID any taxes, then she hasn't got any refunds due, either.

If you have no income, then you don't have any exemptions, deductions, or credits. No tax return, period. And no refund. Wink

BUT -- if she can document her income, then she MIGHT be eligible for the Earned Income Credit. So by filing tax returns for years she may not have had enough income to be required to file, I suppose it's possible there might be some money there. Maybe that's what you're asking about?

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96406,00.html

~Tim~
Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:02 am