Home     Forum     401k     401k Rollovers     Crypto Forum

New to stock investing. Need some suggestions.

Reply to topic
Money Talk > Investing, Stocks and Bonds

Author Thread
InvestWell
First Time Poster

Cash: $ 0.50

Joined: 11 Oct 2016
Location: Ohio
New to stock investing. Need some suggestions.  Reply with quote

I have completed my studies this year and I'm going to kick start my future savings with $10,000.

I'm planning to invest in few stocks like Facebook, Bank of America & Microsoft. Currently I'm struggling to find the right investment tool to start with it. I have identified few investing apps like AlphaStreet app and Seeking Alpha as the good one to start with it. What are some suggestions?
Post Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:41 pm
oldguy
Senior Member

Cash: $ 751.85

Joined: 21 May 2006
Location: arizona

A managed fund seldom (only 15%) matches an unmanaged fund. A matched fund carries buy/sell fees, market lag as you id, sell, replace losers. Meanwhile an index chugs along, doubles about every 6 to 7 yrs (rule of 72). The 10k goes to 230k in 30 yrs. And if you add another 30k (maybe a 401k) you'll have million 23 yrs into your career.

Many of the millionaires in my generation used that concept.

The founder of Vanguard, John bogel, outlined it well The Little Book of Common Sense Investing.

I recommend reading his book before you embark on building your own mini mutual fund.[/list]
Post Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:15 pm
ken-do-nim
Full Member

Cash: $ 16.50

Joined: 08 Sep 2016
Location: Mansfield, MA
Re: New to stock investing. Need some suggestions.  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by InvestWell
I have completed my studies this year and I'm going to kick start my future savings with $10,000.

I'm planning to invest in few stocks like Facebook, Bank of America & Microsoft. Currently I'm struggling to find the right investment tool to start with it. I have identified few investing apps like AlphaStreet app and Seeking Alpha as the good one to start with it. What are some suggestions?

Before you start investing, have you built up your Emergency Fund yet? The guideline is that money you invest in the market you won't need to touch for at least 5 years. I'd put that 10,000 aside as emergency fund money, meaning it goes into a money market account that you touch only when you absolutely have to (furnace dies, you are out of work, you have to post bail, stuff like that).
Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:13 pm
ProThinker
New Member

Cash: $ 1.60

Joined: 15 Mar 2017
Location: Singapore
Free investment course  Reply with quote

You could go here for a 15-module free investment course
https://prothinker.com/free-investment-course/
Post Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:43 am
marketsignals
Full Member

Cash: $ 16.65

Joined: 27 Sep 2016
Location: Malaysia

Strategy to Invest in Stocks and bond

#BURSA market action revealed that buying power was stronger than selling pressure.

LIVE Stock Trading folio : HIBISCS; PALETTE; CUSCAPI; MTOUCHE; PWORTH.
LIVE Stock Trading SIGNALS With : www.mmfsolutions.sg/
Post Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:24 am
kellogg9
New Member

Cash: $ 1.50

Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Not sure if you are saying you are new to investing or just in the savings phase of your investment goals. Nonetheless, definitely know your risk limits and have an emergency nest egg outside this because you never know if FB/MS/BofA might see a long-term downturn. Also, i figure you plan on buying and holding. Not sure if you have already picked an appropriate brokerage that keeps fees to at a minimal because you certainly don't want to be forced to pay endless inactivity fees over the years. I could be wrong but aren't there some tech ETFs that include at least 2 of these because many discount brokerages like questrade offer free ETFs which would make it easier if you plan to re-balance and/or DCA by buying more shares of your holdings a lot over the months/years. Just my two cents.
Post Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 pm
Frank Holmes
Member

Cash: $ 1.55

Joined: 20 Jul 2017
Location: Bangladesh

I won’t suggest it at all. I believe it’s too risky and I did it few months back with Alpari, it was a horrifying experience for me, so I will really not suggest it to any of my friends. And, not even my enemies at all unless you got 100% trustworthy broker.
Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:10 am

Reply to topic
Forum Jump:
Jump to: