VPN Server

naina8888

Location: Bellevue
VPN Server  Reply with quote

What is VPN server? I have listened somewhere to make money by registering in VPN server.
Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:39 am
Wino

Location: Dubai

A VPN server is a virtual private network server. It allows you to set up a secured connection between the host and the client computer. In this manner, one can send confidential communications without fear of intercept, bypass a country's restrictions (such as not being able to see Netflix from Dubai), or otherwise use programs that are restricted.

As far as making money, I'm sure you can, because I pay $80 per year for my VPN back to the US. But you had better have good customer support. I am fairly computer literate, but I have to contact support on occasion. I'm sure others who are not so computer literate will not be able to do as much as I, and therefore would be using customer support more often.
Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:06 am

Originally posted by Wino
In this manner, one can send confidential communications without fear of intercept, bypass a country's restrictions (such as not being able to see Netflix from Dubai), or otherwise use programs that are restricted.

Curious -- how this can be -- a VPN is a software program running on someone else's hardware; you don't control the hardware or the physical connections anywhere between host and client, so it seems to me you have to trust the owners of the hardware to "follow the rules"; something governments are notoriously bad at.

As far as the OP's question, a hosting account is probably all that's needed, not a VPN account.

~Tim~
Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:36 pm
Wino

Location: Dubai

Curious -- how this can be

You do not connect directly to the internet. You connect to a server. I connect to the internet through the "etisalat" server here in the UAE. The only connection I make through etisalat is to StrongVPN, which is my VPN server. The communication through etisalat is encrypted. Etisalat has no control over any of my data, as it has no way to "see" what I send.

Therefore, when I connect to netflix, they don't see my etisalat IP address. They see my StrongVPN address, which I recently changed from NY to Washington, DC. If I wanted a faster connection, I would select a different VPN server physically closer to Dubai, but then I would not have a US IP address, and therefore could not get Netflix, which is the main reason I have the VPN.

But that's not the only reason I have the VPN. The UAE has filters that you don't have in the US. I saw a link to Michele Malkin - a pundit notorious for posting anti-jihad messages - but got the "hand" that says it is a prescribed website. I don't like censorship. I should be able to read anything and make my own decisions.

Anyway, with my VPN, I can go to any website. Just for the record, some of the UAE blocks are on "warez" servers and other virus-prone sites, so they aren't all bad, but I keep a good anti-virus, and don't download anything that might be infected. Kaspersky stops the script-loaded malware, so I'm fairly certain I'm as safe as can be reasonably be expected.

quote:
a hosting account is probably all that's needed, not a VPN account.

Not necessarily. If he's in China, then he may need a VPN to get around their restrictions. Much of the commerce here in the UAE is controlled through the government. Now, I don't think that commercial websites are controlled, but if you try to sell something they think should not be sold - let's just say "guns and ammunition" for argument's sake - then they would probably shut you down.

With a VPN, I could open the host site anywhere I could get a VPN server, and thereby abide by their laws, not by the laws where I'm physically located.
Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:19 am

OK, I think I got it; you have your own private proxy server:

Client (you) <--> ISP (etisalat) <--> StrongVPN (proxy) <--> netflix (host)

Ya, I can see how that would work so long as you can get a dedicated IP for your proxy. Public proxies are well-known to be end-arounds. Netflix just "sees" you as another US client. Neat. Wink

And you couldn't do that with just a hosting account; you'd probably be in violation of the hosting TOS, and they'd drop you when they found out; with a VPN you're in control.

But encrypting all that so your UAE ISP can't monitor your traffic; doesn't that slow you down quite a bit?

~Tim~
Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:46 am
Wino

Location: Dubai

I notice no difference in speed, or if anything a minor difference. The main delay is sending everything via the US from the Middle East. I would guess my latency runs to enough to discourage realtime gaming, but since I don't do that, I really have no idea.

I think the encryption and decryption are done at my end (GHz speed) and at the server's end (GHz speed) so the transmission times are still the dominant variable.

I've been very happy with both the performance and support from StrongVPN. I'd recommend them to others, and from me, recommendations are few and far between.
Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:29 pm
renestitt

if you are looking to buy VPN, for your torrenting activities, Ivacy torrent VPN is the best bet for you. Ivacy VPN is the most reliable VPN available for you. It provides you with flawless streaming experience, top class speed, and above all optimum server performance, without putting any burden on your system. Our dedicated customer support team is always there to help you by resolving your issues round the clock.
Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:20 pm
selina9

Location: ctg

Buy vpn
Post Tue May 17, 2016 11:14 am
rvalmeeki

Virtual Private Network is a method of stimulating a private network which operates on a large network. It is nothing but creating smaller sub-networks on the existing bigger networks. The main purpose of this network is to provide a secure method for connecting in a private network from network locations.
Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:28 am