Home     Forum     401k     401k Rollovers     Crypto Forum

Work or not work, some advice please

Reply to topic
Money Talk > Money Watch

Author Thread
dozulu
Preferred Member

Cash: $ 40.15

Joined: 30 Jun 2015
Location: Eastern Oregon
Work or not work, some advice please  Reply with quote

I have been hearing that there are going to be changes to social security that prevent drawing on a spouses earnings. As a lifelong housewife, I do not have earnings, but would draw widows benefit on my husbands earnings.

Has anyone heard about this change coming or is it rumor?

I am 58 now and if they cancel the widows benefit, I want to go to work now to make certain that I can collect something when I get old enough. Currently, I have a very nice federal pension that my husband put in place for me, but in upcoming years, I expect the cost of living to increase enough that the social security will be needed as well.

Anybody have any advice for me?
Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:34 pm
Wino
Senior Member

Cash: $ 113.80

Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Location: Dubai
Re: Work or not work, some advice please  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by dozulu
I have been hearing that there are going to be changes to social security that prevent drawing on a spouses earnings. As a lifelong housewife, I do not have earnings, but would draw widows benefit on my husbands earnings.

Has anyone heard about this change coming or is it rumor?

I am 58 now and if they cancel the widows benefit, I want to go to work now to make certain that I can collect something when I get old enough. Currently, I have a very nice federal pension that my husband put in place for me, but in upcoming years, I expect the cost of living to increase enough that the social security will be needed as well.

Anybody have any advice for me?

My understanding is they are going to get rid of the ability to "file and suspend." This was a tactic used so that a spouse could draw spousal SS while the other spouse could continue to let the SS amount grow. I'm not certain of the exact mechanism that was used, and a good thing I never spent any time studying it as it is now going away.

Don
Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:31 am
blixet
Preferred Member

Cash: $ 32.55

Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Location: Southern California

The widow's benefit has not been changed. You will qualify the same as before the recent changes.

Information is more valuable sold than used – Fischer Black
Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:19 pm
dozulu
Preferred Member

Cash: $ 40.15