Claim counterfeit money as a loss on Income Taxes

Reply to topic
Money Talk > Taxes

Author Thread
DMA

Claim counterfeit money as a loss on Income Taxes  Reply with quote

I just had an experience in which I was paying a bill in person in cash and 2 of the 100 dollar bills were counterfeit. I called the police and the officer took them. I am told that I am just plain out the $200.00. So now I am researching what happens when a person gets stuck with counterfeit money. One of the things I read was that I can claim this on my income taxes as a loss: This from an article from the Los Angeles Times titled "Who Foots The Bill For Counterfeit Cash" by CARLA LAZZARESCHI:" If the counterfeit money is given to you as part of your payment of wages, and then confiscated and not replaced, you should be sure to deduct the confiscated amount on on line 21 (other income) of the 1040 tax form. (If you do deduct your losses, be sure to get verification for your records; you wouldn't want to face a hassle from the Internal Revenue Service on top of all this.)" But I would have to "verify" this loss. My Question How do I verify this for Income Tax purposes? I do not know where and when my husband received this cash as he cashes his paychecks in one of two places - the credit union and a local bank which has closed. Even if we knew, we would not be beleived and could not have it replaced. Thanks!
Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:56 pm
clydewolf

Re: Claim counterfeit money as a loss on Income Taxes  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by DMA
I just had an experience in which I was paying a bill in person in cash and 2 of the 100 dollar bills were counterfeit. I called the police and the officer took them. I am told that I am just plain out the $200.00. So now I am researching what happens when a person gets stuck with counterfeit money. One of the things I read was that I can claim this on my income taxes as a loss: This from an article from the Los Angeles Times titled "Who Foots The Bill For Counterfeit Cash" by CARLA LAZZARESCHI:" If the counterfeit money is given to you as part of your payment of wages, and then confiscated and not replaced, you should be sure to deduct the confiscated amount on on line 21 (other income) of the 1040 tax form. Thanks!

No, that is not correct.
You are out the $200. You can not deduct the counterfeit money as a loss on your tax return. It is the same as if you had a hole in your pocket and the money fell through the hole, no deduction.

When your employer pays you in cash, you should check the money for couterfeit bills before leaving the office. When you find counterfeit bills, ask for "real" bills.

When you get cash at your bank or CU, ask the teller to do their scan for counterfeit bills.
Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Ya, sorry 'bout that. The holder of the currency is responsible; doesn't make any difference what for or where from. That being said, it's unlikely it was picked up at a financial institution; most likely got as change or cash back at a merchant or from a private party. And the latter most probably. I've notice cashiers sometimes checking bills as small as $10 these days. With the funny money we have now in this country it's no surprise.

Open a bank account, get a debit card tied to that account, and keep less than $1000 in that account. Use the debit card for your "cash" transactions.

~Tim~
Post Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:27 am
DMA

Thanks so much for both of your helps. Husband doesn't use/ believe in debit cards or anything "electronic". Saves his cash and pays the bills with it. Don't owe nobody nothin'. Never got 100's back as "change" from a merchant, and no one gives us that much money. I'm 99.9% sure it was the local bank which closed. The store manager where I was trying to pay my bill said that banks do indeed give out counterfeit so they do not have to take the loss. Too much greed in the world I guess. Well the buck stops here has always been a motto for me. Thanks again.
Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:22 am
JessicaL

the post have some really good information.thanks
guest survey
Post Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:11 pm