Metaphysically Authoritative

Metaphysically Authoritative  Reply with quote

Members:

These posts were separated from another thread because they constituted pretty much a complete topic of their own, completely unrelated to the primary topic of the thread in which they were posted. The issue of who is qualified to say what and what it is they should say is a good topic for continued discussion.

The original thread is here: http://www.money-talk.org/thread22647.html

Some minor editing was done

quote:
Originally posted by smk
quote:
Originally posted by Wino
I don't believe this applies here.

you don't believe but you don't know.

As forum mod:
For our purposes here the language used is a suitable and adequate disclaimer identifying a non-credentialed and non-authoritative statement

... and as self ...

To get a definitive answer it's always wise to ask a properly-credentialed and authoritative source, for which one probably will have to pay the going fee, meanwhile the rest of us will gladly share our beliefs, opinions, knowledge and experience in discussing a topic, so long as we don't falsely pass ourselves off as properly credentialed source authorities. Wink

~Tim~

Last edited by coaster on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:47 am
smk

I don't believe this applies here.

you don't believe but you don't know. for my money i would ask someone qualified to answer...

i think it is important when you really have no knowledge of a subject to avoid guiding people as if there was some knowledge. in this case i think there is sufficient reason to ask the question and i don't think they should be discouraged from doing that. i don't know what answer they would get.

Steve Kanney, CFA
http://www.integratedfinancialny.com/index.html
Any comments made are designed to help you make your own decisions and do not consititute investment advice.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:57 am
Wino

Location: Dubai

So, since you state you don't know, and you think that not knowing means you should say nothing, aren't you violating your own rule?
Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 pm
smk

Originally posted by Wino
So, since you state you don't know, and you think that not knowing means you should say nothing, aren't you violating your own rule?

good question. if you know the answer, you should know that you know the answer. if you don't know the answer but know enough that the question is meaningful and should be asked, you should know that and ask the question. that's what i did. if you don't have any realy knowledge on a subject, you should know that you don't have any real knowledge on the subject and not offer suggestions as if you do. you suggested the question should not have been asked because the credit card debt may not have been accumulated by actual medical payments. normally the irs has no concern about which instrument was used to make the payments, but only if medical payments were made during the year. to the extent the op trusted your suggestion and did not ask a question, if the response they received was that they would not have to pay the tax, it could be very costly to them.

Steve Kanney, CFA
http://www.integratedfinancialny.com/index.html
Any comments made are designed to help you make your own decisions and do not consititute investment advice.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:09 pm

OK, guys, it's getting way too metaphysical in this thread (and off topic). Take it to the pub and hash it out over cold (or hot) beverages of your choice.

For the purposes of forum moderation, any qualifiers added to language that discount the source as speaking from belief, knowledge, experience, or opinion, and *not* from authority as an authorized and credentialed source of information on the topic is sufficient to allow the post to stand. The intent and motives of the post, such as whether or not the poster's words are of benefit or not to the reader, are left solely to the readers themselves to discern, so long as there is no obvious intent to misrepresent or cause harm. Naturally, those readers who discern such result occuring even when there is no intent are free to present their view on the same. Such is the nature of forum posting.

Whew, enough on policy for the day. Now I think I need to head for the pub as well. Laughing

~Tim~

Last edited by coaster on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:05 pm
smk

OK, guys, it's getting way too metaphysical in this thread (and off topic). Take it to the pub and hash it out over cold (or hot) beverages of your choice.

actually, this in not a bad topic. winno seems like a well intentioned person, so there is nothing personal. but your site has some concerns about people playing themselves off as experts and being "right." if i remember correctly, the cfa program requires you to know about insider trading laws. you are not held accountable to be a lawyer, but you are held accountable for knowing when you need to call one. what about knowing accurately where you are and portraying it honestly as a standard? the accuracy is the hard part... Sad

Steve Kanney, CFA
http://www.integratedfinancialny.com/index.html
Any comments made are designed to help you make your own decisions and do not consititute investment advice.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:31 pm

Originally posted by smk
what about knowing accurately where you are and portraying it honestly as a standard?

Nice point, but one of those things just not practical in the real world of online discourse; not only not practical but virtually impossible. The time and resources necessary to verify make it so, and even then so much is from outside jurisdiction. In this venue, the publisher taking on a role of authenticator and verifier would virtually eliminate its feasability as a venue for free and open and available to all public discourse. In the end, it's left to the individual to know when to call that lawyer; we can help, we can (to a certain extent) screen, but we can't guarantee, verify, or authenticate all the words published here; and it would be totally bizarre to event think of doing that with the members. And I wouldn't even want to. Free speech means tolerating the freedom to speak bullshit as well as the freedom to speak the truth. Limiting free speech to speaking truth means somebody is going to decide what is truth, and hey, Johnny Cash ain't here no more. Confused

~Tim~
Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:22 am