Where's My Credit Rating at ?

Reply to topic
Money Talk > Credit & Loans

Author Thread
tomana

Location: New Mexico
Where's My Credit Rating at ?  Reply with quote

I had credit cards up until I claimed bankruptcy almost 20 years ago (1993). Had one credit card since then, in 2000 and in 2001 wanted to settle with the lender in court so I could have an affordable payment. They declined and the balance was written off by the bank. Since 2002 I have had no credit whatsoever, only a debit card, nor do I want to have a credit card.

I recently read where someone said employers are all but requiring that a person have a good credit score or they might not get hired (I saw this change in the auto insurance industry some years ago). After ten years of absolutely no credit transactions whatsoever, what will my credit report (if I have one) look like to an employer?
Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:25 pm

You can find out for yourself, free of charge, at this website, which is sanctioned by the U.S. Government and serviced by all three major credit reporting bureaus:

www.annualcreditreport.com

You're entitled by law to one free report per year from each of the three bureaus. You are entitled to dispute anything in your report you can document should not be there (or should no longer be there). Your report is free; you may purchase your numerical score for an additional small fee.

Your previous credit problems should not affect your credit score any more as they are beyond the Statutes of Limitations. Depending on the type of debt, they may still be on your history, however.

Your can find out more about credit scoring at this website: www.myfico.com

~Tim~
Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:03 pm
LisaBr

Great tips! The information that you shared are really relevant. You were able to hit the important factors. Investing in rental property generally requires a good credit score thus it is really advisable that we know ways on how to improve our credit score such as by finding ways for a free credit score. Time after time check your credit score to make sure you are on the right track.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:57 am